Saturday, April 9, 2011

Finally, It happened again !!!

373 is actually a nice number. 373 is a palindromic balanced prime and is sum of 5 consecutive primes (67,71,73,79,83). Task Force 373, a joint military commando unit active in the War in Afghanistan, was exposed by Wikileaks for its foul play. Water boils at 373 and so will your mind if I persist with this nonsense. What has 373 to do with me ? Exactly 373 days ago,there wasn't any leap for the mankind but it was great leap for a man when I took on the vast ethereal webspace with a keyboard. A vast majority of netizens had taken this leap ages ago and hence my achievement was as significant as a spark in front of sun. Yet sparks fly and on their day take down Bombay House and challenge Tata's Safety focus. 53 weeks ago I had taken a vow to let world know what I am thinking but I myself kept on thinking what am I thinking without letting a thought trickle to the masses. Much water has flowed under the bridge while I kept standing there without a clue. A spate of scams surfacing one after another like the tortoises in the sea-currents, India's dwindling political scenario much like half baked toast with awful taste, Successful organization of Commonwealth Games, a young unstoppable Formula 1 champion, Bihar's historical and revolutionary elections, an Afro-Arab revolution threatening to change the History and Geography books in schools and recently Anna Hazare is trying to wake a country up from a deep slumber. In between I had my personal milestones and a lifetime trekking experience of Uttarkashi in  the beauty of Himalayas.Not that I didn't want to write about them when and how they happened. The urge was the same everytime as is today, only thing being a procrastinator of highest degree that I am. My inertia of rest was far far greater than I had read in Physics textbooks. I could not convince myself enough to give my fingers some exercise. Also add to it, the demotivation of not having a single comment on my first blog and I could see the writing on the wall clearer as never before. A blogger had died before he celebrated his first birthday adding to the sub-saharan infant mortality rate of India.

The Picture that inspired me to write


And then I changed the background image of my office laptop, one I have been sitting on and not working since november last year. And you'd think I have cracked my cranium for mentioning crap in the same breath as those historical events. The background image of my laptop for last 5 months was a physical world map wrapped in IBM blue with all timezones visible. My eyes had gotten used to seeing the map so much that I can draw one and tell you exactly what is the time on Times Square in London or a forgotten corner in Nauru in Pacifics right now. I was flipping through web pages which is my only work in the office and I was suddenly struck by a photograph of a 38 year old man hold a golden globe(not The Golden Globe awards but literally a golden spherical ball) sans any sketches on its three legs. The face of that man looked familiar to me but unfamiliar was what he was holding. Familiar face in the sense I may forget my face in the mirror but I will recognize his face with my eyes shut. I downloaded that image instantly and kept seeing it for 5 minutes and those 5 minutes seemed like eternity and in those 300 seconds I had lived my life once again. Every moment of my short life seemed like significant and felt moments springing up again. The photo was of Sachin Tendulkar holding the World Cup and carrying a smile. A smile that was as mature as it was childish. A smile that has waited for 38 years of his life to find place on his ever smiling face. A smile which is holding out all the pains and bruises of his past. A smile which is capable of producing electric currents which existing Ammeters can't measure. This man has produced classics after classics, captured every batting record that was ever to have been achieved and humbly smiled and smiled. Yet there was something missing and this smile told me all. And I felt like freezing and melting at the same time. Then it struck me, I could not hold out any long. This time words will come out and I, for one, will have to stand and appreciate.




But this piece of writing is not about Sachin Tendulkar. To write about him is like writing about this open book which has been published and republished in every possible language and has been deciphered and decoded from every angle. And yet I vow to write a piece in his honour on his birthday 24th April. Today this piece is about "The Cup of Joy" and about the journey through plains, valleys and desert to bring home this cup. Its about the nation and its national obsession. Its about the players who have played through pain to give us joy. Its about the adulation and money poured in highs and the black paints and the burning posters in the lows. Its about the common man in the street tuned to a radio on a tea stall and about his neighbours and passers-by trying hard to overhear the present score. Its about the cricket analysts and experts which are now found on every goddamn news channel. Its about the statisticians and their bird's eye view on every minute aspect of cricket. Its about me. Its about my 18 year old cricket career as an ardent follower. Its about my long wait and my share of world cup glory. Its about everything I have ever dreamt of.

When I look back my earliest memories take me back to Kumble's magical spell of 6/12 in the Hero Cup when I first felt the exhilaration of a win. But from 1996 world cup I have got 15 years straight as John Oldman's 4000 years in "The Man from Earth". I remember how elated I was when Jadeja hit Waqar Younis all around park in 1996 Quarterfinals and Tendulkar's Century on the day of Holi. And I also remember that Eden Garden loss against Srilanka in Semis and the weeping Vinod Kambli. I remember the exploits of Sanath Jayasurya just after world cup and the fastest 50's and 100's he made. I remember the rise of Sourav Ganguly and Rahul Dravid on the England tour. I remember the Titan Cup and Mark Taylor's desperation for Kumble's and Srinath's wickets in a match which eventually India won and his continuous chant to his bowlers "2 balls 2 Wickets". I also remember the low points of 1997, the disastrous South African and Windies tour and the forgettable part of Sachin's life - his captaincy.

And then suddenly I remember the Phoenix like rise of Sachin Tendulkar in that epochal year of 1998 after getting relieved of captaincy and his 9 ODI centuries and 1892 runs in ODIs alone. It feels like yesterday when Ganguly's masterful 124 guided India past Pakistan's score of 314 in Bangladesh Independence cup. Shane Warne dreaming of Sachin Tendulkar hitting him out of the park in the test series. And then I remember how Sachin produced storms in Desert. I am never tired of watching 134 against Aussies in that final on his birthday in Sharjah and spoiling Damien Fleming's birthday celebrations. I remember Olonga finding a place for hiding when Sachin and Sourav went after him in a revenge in Coca Cola cup. I remember Rahul Dravid playing like a musician and hitting two 100's in same test match on the tour of Newzealand. Anil Kumble's perfect 10 against Pakistan will ever remain etched in our memory. And then World Cup 1999 arrived. Rahul Dravid emerged from that tournament as highest scorer and Sourav Ganguly's whirlwind 183 was special as was Tendulkar's emotional 140. And then those bad memories arrive when at the end of last century, the match-fixing scandal arrived. That was one time my devotion for cricket was in real jeopardy. Indian and the world cricket were down in dumps.

And then Sourav Ganguly happened to Indian cricket. In between 1997 and 2000, he was highest scorer for India for 3 years in ODI's and only year he came 2nd was only to Sachin Tendulkar in 1998. But it was not his batting that saved and resurrected India. It was his leadership and the ferocity that he brought to Indian cricket. Indian players no longer had their heads down and listening to the taunts of the opposition players. They started giving some back. There was now this new attitude in Indian dressing room. And this remains the single most important achievement of Ganguly. Sourav Dada, as we fondly called him, in combination with a master tactician in John Wright kept the foundations for a new phase of Indian Cricket. Australia's tour of India in 2001 was a historic tour. Cricket had its life boring by then with the domination of the World by Australian Cricket team . Then Eden Gardens was put on the map once again by Very Very Special(V.V.S.) Laxman with his 281 after following on and not to forget Rahul Dravid's masterful 180. Eden Gardens 2001 remains the most memorable test match in my memory. India went on to win that test series with guile of Harbhajan at its best. India then went on to win one day series also in which Tendulkar hit 10,000th run in ODI's. Cricket was rejuvenated. This was start of a new millennium and also new era for cricket.

The rest everyone says is history. The foundation of a great cricket team had been laid down. Ganguly backed players who went on to become the legends of the game. Everyone remembers the good times in the new millennium in general. But the seeds were sown in most difficult of times. After that, Indian Cricket went from strength to strength. When India reached the finals of 2003 world cup and lost we had reached one step closer to the pinnacle of the sport. The last step was hard to take but was within reach.When Mahendra Singh Dhoni emerged, India had another great leader with an ice-cool head. Emerging from the rocks of Ranchi, he rocked the world. India won the inaugural 20-20 World Cup. Sachin went from being Explosive to struggling to magical and for last 3 years he has been playing his best cricket. India then went on to replace Australia at the pinnacle of  Test Cricket with no. 1 ranking. It was just the next logical step for this team to win a world Cup. When World Cup arrived 2011 arrived in subcontinent, the media and the advertisement industry was behaving as if cup was ours without playing. Everyone said India were the favourites to win the world cup. The expectations were huge. No host nation had ever won World cup in its country. But on 2nd April 2011, even the whole Universe could not have conspired to stop what happened in Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai. India beat every world champion of past on the road to glory starting with West Indies, Australia, Pakistan and Srilanka. India won the cup of Joy. We won the Cup that counted.

But whose win was it ? Current Indian Cricket team, For sure. Current Cricket team has a butcher in Sehwag, the master in Sachin, an attitude player in Gambhir, a promising talent in Kohli, a blaster in Yuvraj, super talented Raina, a cool head in Dhoni, Bhajji and an artist in Zaheer and a Silentkiller in Gary Kirsten. But it wasn't just their win. It was the win of the whole nation. I dedicate this win to those players who carried Indian Cricket on their strong shoulders in the difficult times. I dedicate this win to every fan of Indian Cricket who stuck with the team forever. I dedicate this win to those superstitious players who didn't remove their pads even if they were out and players who didn't move an inch even if they were barely able to watch the match during India's chase. I dedicate this to all those supporters who sacrificed by not watching the match because they have the myth that theirs watching match is cursed and I know a few of them. But I venerate those myths because in the realm of infinite myths lies the eternal reality. I dedicate this win to all my cricket friends with whom I have watched cricket. I remember the bunked classes and climbing through water and drainage pipes to 1st and 2nd floor to watch cricket and I also remember those 10 hockey sticks I got in my back for watching cricket match. I dedicate this win to myself.

Two events had happened only once in history. I had written a blog only once and India had won the world Cup only once.

Finally It happened again !!!

14 comments:

  1. SUPER DUPER HIT.
    Why did you wait for so long to write such a masterpiece.
    DEDICATED TO INDIAN CRICKET.

    Marvellous indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome read. Great start and great ending! I hope 'it' happens again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ultimate man... Too Good... Btw u didnt mentioned the Greg "finger" Chappel's contribution..!!!
    And Anil Kumble's captaincy and Dravidian Era....
    No doubt 2001 series was turnaround for Indian team, but this team thought that it can actually win series abroad(not draw which was the mindset of all earlier Indian team) was on West Indies tour in which Dravid alone fought the battle and Kumble bowled with a broken jaw....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply Brilliant....!!! :)
    Keep writing Dost....

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Shourav... Thanks... Indeed dedicated to Indian Cricket
    @Nathany... It'll keep happening now
    @Champ... Thanks...Sure...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Rishi... If you observe carefully the blog is upto last millennium and the build up to next phase of Indian Cricket team. Only references of the successful cricket team has been given. Anil Kumble and Dravid era was in middle of last decade. Greg Chappel was just on a holiday trip to India. But your reference to Kumble bowling with broken jaw and Dravid fighting ignites many more memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great way to resume.....hope you will come up with more Gyan from now on

    ReplyDelete
  8. Abhishek K. ChoudharyApril 10, 2011 at 12:58 PM

    Mast hai! Keep writing more frequently! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was too long when I saw it first time. but after reading dis I felt it was very small and want to read many times. It was looking a same story which every child want to listen from his grandmother. when I was reading I was feeling like I am watching the highlights of indian cricket,it is magic of ur words.
    Keep writing ,it does not matter any1 like it or not . today I want to say 1 more truth that ur writing skill is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing dude... I read very few blogs.. but still..I'l have to say... Undoubtedly one of the masterpiece!!

    Keep up this awesome work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well wrote Nitesh..
    hope your journey of blogging will cherish on and on...

    ReplyDelete
  12. well we have watched cricket together a lot and yes i know what it means to u and to all of us..this win is inspiring enough to let people do what they believe in doing and as usual SACHIN shows the way...a nice article...

    ReplyDelete
  13. 221 page views till now....
    it is magic of ur words which is attracting ppl to read it many times..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dude.... You write well... Just don't hold your horses till people start liking you...write because you like to do it... This writing is not just about what others read...it is also an imprint of who you are NOW and when you would have become a doppelganger of your own self a couple of years from now, there would be nothing more beautiful than observing your own previous version through your writings :)

    ReplyDelete